Index Thread Archive Jul-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2003Index by Author for Jul-2003Index by Date for Jul-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: c4 tuning/coil
Author: Gerald Wilson <gtwilson@integrity.com>
Date: 24-Jul-2003 12:50:10
Hi Jamie, (and others)

I hope you received my response to you directly (5/31/2003 UTC) after your
earlier question about the "C4 tuning jumper recap."

My own experience was that the initial settings did place my C-4D's resonant
point below 7.0 MHz with my particular installation. I interpret the
assembly instructions to mean that antenna resonant frequency for the 40
meter element is determined by adjusting the linear loading wires. I used
an Autek Research RF-1 "RF Analyst" to determine the lowest SWR at the
shack-end of the coax. I had to move the linear loading jumpers out several
inches from the spreader/boom toward the element tips. I adjusted the
lowest SWR to my frequency of choice within the 40 meter band. My Force 12
C-4 instructions say, "If [the VSWR] is not less than 1.3:1 in the band,
adjust the hairpin by spreading or pushing together the coil for the lowest
VSWR in the band." Since the 40 meter dipole's characteristic impedance is
not 50 ohms, the hairpin/coil is used as an impedance matching device to
help the coax and therefore the transmitter to see a lower VSWR than it
would otherwise.

Briefly stated, I recommend you adjust the jumpers first and then fine tune
with the hairpin/coil.

I am very happy with my C-4D. Best wishes with your antenna and gud DX.
73,

Jerry K7VIT

P.S. Thanks to the reflector for helping me with other questions with your
collective knowledge.