Index Thread Archive Aug-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2003Index by Author for Aug-2003Index by Date for Aug-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-4XL Tuning Question
Author: Keith Dutson <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: 02-Aug-2003 15:10:42
Thanks to Charlie KI5XP, Mel K0PFX, Tom N6BT and Pete Smith N4ZR (off-list
reply) for your prompt and informative responses.

The 40 meter reflector is indeed set as recommended, for the CW portion of
the band. I now realize setting the driven element to 7.140 was a poor
choice. Although I cannot think of a reason, this setting along with
antenna height of 150 feet may be why I get better reports on 10 meter phone
operation (28.440 MHz) using the 40 meter feed than with the 20-15-10 meter
feed.

Tomorrow all EHS steel guys are being replaced with Phillystran. The 40
meter driven element will also be readjusted to 7.220 MHz and relay box
installed. I will report the results.

In the near future three additional antennas will be added to the tower.
Hopefully this will greatly enhance my favorite mode of operation,
contesting. There will be a C-3 at 117 feet, another C-4XL at 84 feet and
another C-3 at 51 feet. The upper and lower C-4XL/C-3 pair 20-15-10 feeds
will be phased together, so that upper/lower/both can be selected.
Similarly, the upper and lower C-4XL 40 meter feeds will be phased and
switched. Phasing/switching will utilize the WX0B StackMatch. Rotation of
lower antennas will be performed by TIC 1022D Ringrotors installed by Array
Solutions. If all goes as planned the project will be completed by late
October.

Keith WD5DXL