Index Thread Archive Aug-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2003Index by Author for Aug-2003Index by Date for Aug-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Boom balance question
Author: Keith Dutson <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: 18-Aug-2003 13:45:05
Thanks for the tip. From my experience Pb and Al seem to get along
fairly well together, but Pb seems to corrode by itself when exposed to
the elements down here near the Gulf Coast.

Thanks also to several others who offered their thoughts and experiences
off-list. One suggested using lead shot mixed with silicone sealer.
This technique would seal the lead from exposure to anything but the
silicone itself.

Based on a recommendation sent by Tom N6BT, I have decided to use a
length of 1.5 inch gray light-resistant PVC electrical conduit inserted
into the end of the boom. It will be held in place using a machine
screw through a hole drilled in the boom and the PVC, and secured with a
nylon insert lock nut. I like this method the best because it should be
fairly easy to do the balancing act merely by sliding the tube to a
position where balance occurs. A little trial and error should yield a
piece of tubing that neither protrudes from nor recesses too far inside
the boom.

Keith WD5DXL