Index Thread Archive Aug-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2003Index by Author for Aug-2003Index by Date for Aug-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Stacking C36XR + C31XR
Author: Keith Dutson <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: 28-Aug-2003 10:36:26
Scott,

I am in the process of putting together a stack at my QTH in Tomball,
Texas. The tower is 150 feet of Rohn 45. There are Phillystran
HPTG6700I (6700lb) guys at four points: 150, 113, 76, 38. This is
overkill since Rohn specifies EHS 1/4 wire (6000lb) for the top guys and
EHS 3/16 (4000lb) for the lower three guys, for 90mph wind loading. If
you use Rohn 45G you should be using three guys with 1/4 at the top and
3/16 for the lower two. I have three, five foot above ground, 6 inch
metal pipe posts for the ground guy points, at 120 feet from the tower
base. These are each set in about 1.5 yard of concrete. A 100 foot
tower should have guy ground points 90 feet from the base according to
the Rohn catalog. However, be sure to plan the guy design to
accommodate the turning radius of the lower antenna. I have developed
an Excel spreadsheet to calculate the clearance for my antennas. Let me
know if you want a copy to modify for your design.

On antenna spacing, be sure to consider wavelength for optimum spacing.
I have learned from others that 66 feet is good for 40 meter Yagis and
33 feet is good for 20 meters. My initial plan was to have two C-4XL's
on the tower. After talking with Tom N6BT and Jay WX0B I decided to add
two C-3's to get 33 feet spacing for 20 meters. So I will have:
C-4XL@152, C-3@119, C-4XL@86 and C-3@53. The guy points on the tower
had to be varied from the Rohn catalog recommendation to provide for
rotation clearance. The recommended maximum vertical guy spacing for
Rohn 45 is 40 feet.

For antenna rotation I am going with TIC Ringrotors from Array
Solutions. You can order direct from TIC but I hear support is somewhat
lacking from the factory. I am working directly with Jay WX0B to have
his company install the rotors. He is also supplying the StackMatch
boxes for my antennas. Jay has been very helpful with the design of my
system.

Finally, your feedline length requirements are a major concern in terms
of RF loss. If you have a sufficient budget, go with Andrew LDF5-50A
hardline from the shack to the base of the tower. I am seeing a lot of
surplus cable at hamfests, likely from cell phone companies as they have
replaced 7/8 with 1.5 Heliax over the past few years. My next choice
would be LMR600 from Times Microwave. You can bury both of these
cables, but I would use plastic conduit. Texas Towers carries LMR600
and the UHF connectors. From there you can use a switch or StackMatch
with RG-8 up to the antennas. My shack is only 30 feet from the tower
so I am using Belden 9913 all the way.

Good luck. Hope to hear you in upcoming contests.

Keith Dutson WD5DXL