Index Thread Archive Sep-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Sep-2003Index by Author for Sep-2003Index by Date for Sep-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3SS Golf Bag Solution
Author: John Core <kx7yt@comcast.net>
Date: 10-Sep-2003 18:24:07
Hello All ..

First, thanks to all that provided advice on my C3SS golf bag inquiry.
Several suggestions were offered including various brands of soft-sided golf
bags, use of Sched. 40 PVC pipe to make up a suitable carrying devise and
specific recommendations of which SKB hard-sided golf case to get. In the
final analysis, here is what I did:

I purchased a used SKB Model 760001 hard-shell Standard Travel Case shown as
item 2SKB-4812WD on this web page:

http://www.casesbyskb.com/golf/golf-cases.htm

The bag was purchased from a local golf shop that rents these cases to
golfers; had a few scrapes but was otherwise in good shape. The used cost
was a significant discount from what I would have paid for a new case and
shipping.

I found I was able to easily fit the C3SS into the case with plenty of room
for coax, rotor cable and other items being sure that I do not exceed the 70
pound weight limit. Since this case is very close to 4 feet in length (the
limit to avoid oversized baggage charges by the airlines), I should not have
to incur any additional charges when I check in for my flight.

Reflector advise was to use a wide, transparent tape over each of the
latches to provide extra closure security and to include a note inside the
bag alerting airport inspectors that the tubing was a ham radio antenna.
Since bags can no longer be locked, some felt that tape or straps around the
case to make sure it stays closed was a good idea. Other noted not to forget
to put a piece of masting in with the antenna parts and to use foam to
secure the loose tubing.

Finally, I should note that I received a lot of good advise as well as
several requests for skeds once I arrive in Bangladesh (S21)!

Thanks to all for your help.

Regards & 73.. J. Core KX7YT/S21YV

* 10-Sep-2003 John Core
This Author (Sep-2003)