Index Thread Archive Oct-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2003Index by Author for Oct-2003Index by Date for Oct-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: OT: Guy/Grounding Question
Author: Keith Dutson <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: 12-Oct-2003 12:05:01
Sorry for the insensitive reply. It was not intended to be so.

I also have the catalog, and recall now why additional grounding was
suggested. I think it is recommended to divert as much of a possible
lightning strike around the concrete footing as possible, thereby lessening
the possibility of cracked concrete around the anchor.

My anchors are made of 12 foot sections 5 inch pipe with 3/16 inch wall.
Each was centered in a 4 x 3 X 4 foot hole, and driven 3 more feet into the
ground so that 5 feet is above ground. The holes were filled with concrete.
There should be enough metal mass to carry the bulk of a strike directly to
ground without heating the surrounding concrete.

You can ground the guys using some tinned copper grounding braid often seen
for sale at hamfests. I used some to ground all three tower legs. See the
photos at

http://www.dutson.net/Ham/P6160001.jpg
http://www.dutson.net/Ham/P6160004.jpg

There has been no rust since these were installed in 1994. The tower has
received three observed direct strikes so far, with no damage at all.

Keith WD5DXL