Index Thread Archive Nov-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Nov-2003Index by Author for Nov-2003Index by Date for Nov-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma 40XK
Author: KEN SILVERMAN <k2kw@prodigy.net>
Date: 07-Nov-2003 09:56:39
Kjeld,

It's very possible that your tower is resonant as a 1/2 wave on 20 or 1/4
wave on 40. With 7' of separation, that is about the typical distance for a
20m parasitic element. It's a bit close for 40m spacing, but there could
still be strong coupling on 40m to your tower.

That said, I would still think you should be able to achieve a match by
adjusting the T-bars on 20. Have you done this? Adjusting the 40m coils
can sometimes be very tricky - it's easy to overshoot your target frequency
with small adjustments of the coil.

It's quite possible that the default settings will not be valid if the
antenna is strongly coupled to the tower.

If you have adjusted the T-bars on 20m and still cannot get a good match, I
think it lends further credibility that you are coupling to the tower. If
so, the impedance of the XK on 20m is probably much lower than it's designed
for. If so, you might need a hairpin across the feedpoint. That said, I
have installed a number of 2 ele Sigma verticals, and we do not need a hair
pin.

If you cannot get a good match, I would suggest moving the vertical as far
from the tower as possible. But I assume you have already considered that,
and it's not possible.

73, Kenny K2KW
Team Vertical