Index Thread Archive Nov-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Nov-2003Index by Author for Nov-2003Index by Date for Nov-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: 240N
Author: Rick Tavan <tavan@tibco.com>
Date: 10-Nov-2003 13:44:28
I have a 320-240 in San Jose. Not sure whether it has an official part
number. I believe the two 40m elements are quite similar to an EF-240S.
It sits about 6 feet under a 315-310. It works OK on 40 but bandwidth is
limited. It requires a tuner on SSB. Since I dont have one there, I stay
off 40 SSB. Although the wire linear loading system looks spindly, it
has not failed in about 8 years.

I have a Mag-240N in Truckee. It sits about 6 feet above a Sigma 180
rotary dipole and about 12 feet above a 3el SteppIR. The two beams are
aligned and the dipole is turned 90 degrees. Interaction does not seem
to be much of a problem. At first, in a different stacking order
(Top-Bot = 40-SteppIR-80) and without the 90 degree shift, interaction
was bad between the two beams. Bandwidth on the 240N is excellent at the
factory recommended settings, almost enough for the entire band. In the
bottom 20 kHz or so I usually switch in a tuner to keep the Alpha
happier, but I can survive without it. At the next maintenance
opportunity I intend to lengthen the elements a bit to eliminate even
that. It feels significantly louder than the shorty, but it is higher
and on a ridge, so this is an apples and oranges comparison.

I love all these antennas. I envy N6NZ who has a 340N! I am certain you
will appreciate the advantage of the 240N over the 240S.

73,

/Rick N6XI

Pete Smith wrote:

> Has anyone had enough experience with one of these to compare it to an
> EF-240S or other short yagi (like the Cushcraft or Mosley antennas?
> I'm thinking about replacing my EF-240S, which sits 6 feet above a
> C-3E. I had to turn the EF-240S 90 degrees relative to the C-3 in
> order to reduce the noticeable impact on the C-3E on 15.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

* 10-Nov-2003 Rick Tavan
03-Nov-2003 Pete Smith
This Author (Nov-2003)